Wednesday, August 25, 2010

South Dakota - Sturgis, Mt. Rushmore & Crazy Horse Mountain

Our first stop in SD was in Sturgis. Dad wanted to check out Buffalo Chip where they hold the motorcycle thing. He was hoping to eat at a biker bar, but we went through at lunch time and they were all closed! We ended up with fast food in Rapid City on our way to Mt. Rushmore.


I started shooting as soon as we saw Mt. Rushmore, but realized you get plenty of perspective from where the visitors center is. This is looking down the columns with the state flags.



Dad with the mountain

Me with the mountain - you can see how the wind was blowing my hair all over!

This shot may make my brother crazy, but it made the dad mighty happy!

Caught a George Washington profile on our way out to Crazy Horse


Crazy Horse was pretty amazing. It was started in 1949 and all we have so far is the face of the man. They're working on the massive horse head next.


Ultimately it will look like this

You can check out a few more pics here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebeccajeanne/sets/72157624778008938/

After Crazy Horse, we got on the road and headed out of South Dakota. It was after dinner that we got the wild hair to drive an extra 250 miles to include the stop at Taliesin. I agree with Dad, it was worth it! Taliesin images coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. I love the pic of you! The picture of dad in the mountain doesn't bother me as much as you referring to George Washington as GW. I'm going to change that now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love.
    Rebecca that shot of you in front of the mountain is so cute. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, I super love the pic of you with Mt. Rushmore behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos Rebecca! And I'm totally jealous that you guys are seeing so much of the country.

    ReplyDelete