Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 9 - Washington DC, Maryland, and West Virginia or "Final musings on the Capitol and then there were two."

Sunday morning I woke up later than everyone else. Apparently there was a scene while the two of them had breakfast but I wasn't a part of that. Once Dad's laundry was wrapped up we were off to Comet Pizza for some lunch.

The pizza was pretty good. Rebecca and I both preferred The Smokey, while Dad liked The Slam better. The cool part about the place was the decor. I don't have many shots from lunch so I'm hoping that Dad or Rebecca can fill in some images here. There's also some pics on the twitter feed you can check out.

After that we headed out to Arlington and the Iwo Jima Marine Memorial. It was much bigger than I had expected.



Nearby there was the Dutch Carillon, a gift to US for helping out in WWII. Just as we were approaching it the bells all started to sound. It really completed the experience, without that it would have been a little disappointing.





Next we cruised past the Air Force Memorial and the Pentagon, sorry no pics. Then it was back into DC to check out the Jefferson Memorial. On the way we ran into George Mason.


Jefferson was cool, but also a little disappointing. They're rebuilding the seawall so there was a lot of construction going on. From the previews I saw it's going to be impressive when it's all finished. Unfortunately it made it so we had to park a ways out and the heat in DC was killer, which made us all that much more irritable. I didn't get too many pics here, but I'm sure Rebecca can supplement what I've got.


After that we were running out of time and had to load up the car and get up to BWI so Rebecca could catch her flight. It was great that we were able to over lap for a little while, but after a week on the road I think she was ready to go home.


The rest of the day/evening was spent driving from BWI to Dunbar, WV. By the time we got there we were both spent. I stayed up a bit later fighting the horrible wi-fi connection before finally just giving up on the whole thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment