Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 4 - Four Days with the Father

It continues...


Rebecca and I have been on the road for 4 days now. I've driven almost 2400 miles. I haven't felt like sharing the driving yet. I guess it's okay for me to cruise at 90 MPH in my own car but not ready to let go of the reigns.


Day One


We made it to Shirlene's (my mom's good friend) home in Dalhton Gardens, ID Saturday evening. We had a great meal and some really fun conversation. Shirlene sent us along our way Sunday morning with a bag of trail mix and raspberry muffins. We made those guys last until the middle of Tuesday. Good stuff, thanks Shirlene!


Day Two


We went thru Yellowstone for most of the day. Saw some elk, Rebecca snapped a shot of one with a radio transmitter antena sticking up above its ear. We stopped at several pools of bubbling mud and other pools of hot water with stinking sulfer pouring out and engulfing us. We video taped Old Faithful while chatting with this delightful older couple celebrating their 59th wedding aniversary. Amazing. Real nice folk. I've been making a real effort to talk to strangers and its been kinda fun. I had made it all day without anyone passing me and some local about 20 minutes out of Cody flew by me in the dark, RATS! A perfect day shot to ...


Day Three


The road between Cody and Sheridan, WY provided the biggest suprise so far. There was a canyon that simply knocked our socks off!!! We were later able to see both Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Very cool stuff!!! Then we drove another 500 miles clear across South Dakota and about 50 miles into Minnesota. I had a buffalo burger in Mitchell, SD - good stuff. The dinner break lasted long enough for the sun to set and spare us the balance of the mind numbing landscape of eastern South Dakota.





Day Four


We broke camp and hit the road at 6:15am. Neither Rebecca or I were rested or excited about getting out, but the chance to see the main residence at Taliesin in Spring Green,WI motivated us both. It was Rebecca's first time to visit Taliesin and my second. The house and grounds were amazing. He was an amazing Architect. Some very intriguing spaces. Worth the effort. We left for Chicago around 2pm.


All caught up for now...


1 comment:

  1. Since you were in Mitchell... did you also visit the Corn Palace??

    ReplyDelete