Friday, August 27, 2010

Day Six - Wheeling WV to Philadelphia PA

Day six was not a big picture day. Sorry folks! We slept until 11am, and nearly had to pry ourselves out of the bed with a crow bar. Yeah, we were pretty wiped out. After we saw our first Cracker Barrel (no idea where that was, might have been as early as Coeur d'Alene) we kept looking for one at a meal time. It wasn't until our first meal on day six that we succeeded! Cracker Barrel is some good ol' down home food. I ordered biscuits & gravy - YUM.

We spent the rest of that day on the road to Philly. However it was leaving WV that we missed our first state sign - SHOOT! We thought it was another 5 or so miles and I just couldn't pull it off in time. So, we had about an 8 mile detour to go back and get it again. Dad insisted that I shoot the WV state sign again since technically we were crossing the state line again.

IMG_8161

IMG_8165

And other than shooting the state lines, I didn't pick up my camera. I was stil pretty beat from being on the road until 3am. The Pennsylvania countryside was lovely! Very green, lots of trees and just some beautiful land. The "service plazas" are pretty incredible. Being from the NW and not driving much outside of WA/OR, I had NO idea what much of the country considers to be a rest stop. I feel lucky if we've got indoor plumbing and a soda machine! I would never have expected Hershey's Ice Cream, Burger King, Popeyes + a pizza place. CRAZY!

Also being from WA, I'm not real experienced with the various kinds of tolls. I was pretty shocked when we got this in western PA -

toll ticket

SERIOUSLY, it cost us $18.05! WTH?!?

Anyway, we found ourselves a room at the LOVELY Alexander Inn. The room was small, though Dad said it was bigger than NYC. It had a full + twin. Yes, I was a good girl and took the twin. I know the pecking order! :D Honestly though, it was comfy and in the middle of things! We went out that night to our 3rd triple D spot - Silk City Diner. Try it. SO GOOD. I took a nuts picture inside the restaurant of their bar with the hipstamatic app on my phone.

photo (5)

I tried to take a picture of our food, but it was REALLY REALLY dark inside. Sorry!

We're in DC tonight having an awesome time. Shot some images of the Lincoln Memorial + Washington Monument. Tomorrow the guys are going to the rally while I'm at brunch with some friends. Good times to be had for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment