Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 11 - Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska or "The Arch, The Library and The Storm"

It was in the low 70s when we woke up, perfect weather to walk around the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, better known as the St Louis Gateway Arch. But first we had to get there. Since we did a little extra driving the night before all we really had to do was cross the Mississippi and we were there. It was visible within about 15 minutes.


Then for the first time in my life I saw the Mississippi River. I wasn't terribly impressed. It was narrower and slower than the Columbia. Maybe I just have high expectations. As we crossed the river we also crossed into Missouri.


The Gateway Arch is situated as the focal point of a beautiful park. I thought that the landscaping was very well done. Both sides of the park were completely symmetrical, With the exception of the placement of the ponds. It was starting to warm up, but there were trees everywhere to block out the oppressive sun.



Up close the Arch is something else. I don't really know how to describe it so I'll just show you.


Underneath is a whole museum dedicated to all things relating to western expansion. I found it really interesting. I think we spent an hour just meandering about. 




We thought about going up the Arch, but it would have taken an hour and neither of us were really feeling it, we also had a lot more things to see before the days end. So after the museum we walked around the park a little bit more and then headed out for the long haul across Missouri.

Missouri was boring to be honest with you. I spent most of the time playing my Gameboy. I love that the Gameboy I've had for 15 years still works. It's kind of my touchstone when it comes to traveling. It's perfect for when the scenery becomes monotonous. 

Our next stop was in Independence, on the other side of the state. While trying to find Truman's Presidential Library we stumbled upon this epic Mormon compound. The center piece of which was a giant spire. 


Once we got back on track we found the library. There was a couple of different movies we could have watched, but I've already seen a 3 hour documentary on Truman and Dad's read an extensive biography so we thought it'd just be things we already knew. However the exhibits were great. 





I have so many more pics over on my flickr page, feel free to check them out. I learned a few things that I didn't know prior. For instance, Truman and his wife were the first two Americans to receive Medicare cards. And now you know too.

After the library it was time for some Kansas City BBQ. Rebecca sent us the address to a place that she wanted us to pick up some rub so we figured it was as good as any to eat at. And it was. I liked the fact that it was smoked, which also meant it wasn't drenched in BBQ sauce. You could really taste the meat itself. Good coleslaw too. Kind of like kim chi. 

Now the next stop on our trip, Brown v Board of Education National Historic Site, unfortunately closed too early for us to make it in time. I think it would have been interesting, it's housed in an old segregated school, but oh well. These things happen. So we cruised through Kansas for only a short while. Then it was up to Nebraska. I had no idea I was going to love Nebraska. 


But in the end how could I not? It has so much CORN!!!!


The crazy thing in Nebraska was the weather. The mercury had risen to nearly triple digits and it was just plain balmy. Until we noticed some dark clouds forming on the horizon.


Only an hour later we were in the middle of the most intense thunderstorm I'd ever been in. Rain was pouring down on the car heavy than going through a car wash. Lightning was flashing in all directions around us. Many times Dad had to slow to about 20mph on the highway, because visibility was nothing. 


Not the best picture, but you get the idea. Right behind us your could still see the sky



I also have about 45 minutes of video footage from this whole event, but I'm going to need to figure out how to edit it down. Probably not till I get back, sorry.

Once the storm cleared up we were able to make good time to Lincoln, NE where we found a room and hunkered down for the night. At one point I tried to do some laundry, but there was no soap in the motel so I had to walk over to the gas station. Bad idea. Mind you it was only about 1/2 a block away but by the time I got there I was soaked to the bone. The storm had decided it was time for round two and I foolishly went out into it. Doh! The worst part was they didn't even have laundry soap. Ugh. Good thing I could make it another day. 

***I apologize if this is littered with spelling and grammatical errors. I will fix them in time. Right now I'm struggling to stay awake. Must sleep. I can't believe that I feel more sleep deprived on vacation than I usually do at work***

No comments:

Post a Comment